The College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics was
founded in 1979 with the following purposes:
- to encourage professional development among orthodontists
- to provide a forum for board certified orthodontists to interact scientifically and socially
- to encourage orthodontists to become board-certified, and
- to educate the public and the dental profession on the benefits of board certification.
To address these goals, the College:
- provides family-oriented, continuing education meetings to enhance the quality of orthodontic
care available to the public. The College holds an Annual Session where members and nonmembers
may attend educational sessions. Registration material will be mailed to
members and posted on the Web site www.cdabo.org in March of each year. Check the Web
site for specific locations and sessions offered.
- publishes A Step Beyond brochure to explain the meaning of being a diplomate to patients
and parents. Board certified orthodontists may order these brochures through The College by
- hosts a luncheon at the AAO Annual Session to recognize current and new diplomates, also
disseminate information about board certification to non-certified orthodontists.
- hosts a case display room at the AAO Annual Session where residents present their best
cases in an ABO format.
- publishes The Diplomate newsletter twice a year for CDABO members.
- Publishes the E-zine newsletter twice a year for CDABO members